Friday, February 28, 2020

Dry Feb ...

On the eve eve of the end of February.  In Florida sitting on a couch with legs out straight.  Tired.  Although I can never quite switch to east coast time, so apparently not tired enough.  Been here about a week.  Even though they've been in a cold snap its been quit fun and appears warm.  I say appears warm as most days I am oogling a nice palm tree or super bright flower while wearing my daily puffy I wear in Oregon.  Having a baby is actually perfect for my parents' daily routine.  Their routine consists of combination of events that plays out like this: wake, coffee, walk, breakfast, read, pool, bike, lunch, activity, shop, hot tub, dinner, jeopardy, watch sports, then bed.  The treasure coast of florida as they call this area (I think) is really cool.  There is a ton to do.  Today we went into West Palm Beach but where in an area called North Palm and attempted to kayak at MacArthur state park.  It was too windy / cold to kayak so we didn't go.  We did walk the boardwalk across the estuary to the beach on the atlantic which is really neat.  Super blue water like flouride.  A regular beach goer saw me looking through binoculars and asked if I saw any spinner sharks. Apparently they corkscrew out of the water as they hunt fish.  He said he's seen 50 or so black tipped reef sharks and spinners at this beach.  And that they zoom right by the beach.  If I hadn't already seen some drone footage of this shark migration I wouldn't have believed him.  Florida would be a great place to really dig into science and ecology.  After the park walk, we went to really good Dominican influenced vegan restaraunt in West Palm.  Everyone's food was 4.5/5 quality.  West palm (or at least where we were) was much more ethnically diverse than Hobe Sound and had a wider range of house architecture.  Lots of cool art deco houses down there where here I'd call them more Key West style. 

Almost done with Feb regarding the no drinking.  Hasn't been too hard.  No major challenges yet.  I certainly eyed up some beers in the fridge but no strong compunction to drink them.  Back at home it helps when I have my soda stream.  Here we have bubbly canned waters but somehow not the same.  I might need to drink some kombutcha to hit my fizzy craving.  I do think I am sleeping better.  Amazingly I don't wake up thirsty or having to pee too bad.  I also feel like some smaller bodily tweaks and squeaks have gone away.  I used to think I sometimes got gastritis or a small pain on left side but now that is gone.  I also used to get twitchy legs but that seems to be gone.   Hard to say though if they've been gone for longer than 2 months so I might be overcrediting Dry Jan and Feb.  I do feel much calmer now that I don't drink.  My brain space just feels clearer and cleaner.   I didn't realize until now that drinking clouded my brain.  Part of my effort to do this was physical health improvement which has happened.  I've lost unneeded weight and been wanting to exercise more.  But, I want to improve my mental health as I've feel, in the last few years, that I wouldn't actually be able to sit down and meditate.  That will be the next challenge for March I think.  Try to meditation each and every day.....Stay tuned.

No comments: