Monday, October 02, 2006

Pictures, etc.



This is a church near my house.



This farmer's market is just an eggplant lob from my backdoor. The produce here is cheap and good. In a funny form of commerical symbiosis this fly-by-weekend farmer's market sets up shop in liquor store parking lot and both parties seem to have a lot of crossover customers. Convenient when telling your roommate, "Take the keg back and don't forget to pick up some jacima!" (But seriously, how should I prepare this thing??)



I watched a great show on the Discovery Channel last night. It was about China. They used all those Matrix special effects and the result was really awesome I thought. I think it is from this series called Discovery Atlas maybe? The show will highlight a country for 2 hours, but do it in a kind of dramatic way with fantastic filming, etc. They make Mongolia look surrealer than I imagine it to be.

During this show there was also a hilarious commerical I've decided to retell here, undoubtedly in a way not as funny as if you were to see it yourself:

Scene: A bunch of office worker types standing around in a what appears to be a newly found, newly profitable office, not sure what to do with their success. The leaderish fellow says, "Hey I hear FedEx ships to China, we should start doing business in China." Everyone agrees with the guy in a sort of collective, kings' peasants "off-with their-heads" kind of way.

Next scene: They are standing in front of a world map (where North America in obscured by hundreds of push pins) on a bullentin board. They elect "Bill" to place a push pin on China, source of their businesses' future, kids' tuition, and reason for the new boat. He proudly places a pin on the map where, in his mind, China is.

"No Bill that's Russia."

Next try.

"No Bill that's Greenland."

On the third attempt Bill fakes a stumble and rips the map off the wall, taking it and himself to the ground.

_________

That's funny. Guy doesn't know geography. Falls. Rips map off wall. Trust me the real thing is much more funny.

Next week I'm heading to Asia for work. I'm excited because I'll get to have a big vacation sandwich, that is my work time will be buffered at the beginning and end with a few days vacation time in Taiwan (beginning) and then at the end in Korea. Next update from Asia.

No comments: